Why science says this supergreen is here to stay
The superfood moringa is witnessing an ever-growing popularity and a loyal fan base for its rich nutritional profile.† The benefits of moringa have been around and revered for centuries: This green superfood was commonplace in the Roman and Greek empires and very popular in the Ayurvedic culture. A historic treatise on Ayurveda, known as the Bhava Prakash, cites moringa as a Sigur (moving like an arrow) for its ability to rapidly and deeply penetrate tissues, deep cleansing the body and purifying blood.
In recent years, the food and skincare industry has recognized “moringa benefits for health”, which has been a groundbreaking reality for moringa as a supergreen. With this rise in awareness, the composition of moringa oleifera and moringa benefits for health have become well-established globally.
Wondering what these moringa benefits for health are? Traditionally referred to as the “miracle tree” in native India, moringa is credited with the presence of multiple important vitamins and minerals that are crucial for our sustenance, health and overall well-being. Read on to learn about five science-backed moringa benefits for health.
- Anti-Aging: Packed with vitamin E, one of the main moringa benefits for health, specifically skin health, is its anti-aging properties. Vitamin E is a major defense against factors that cause premature aging. A phenomenon called ‘oxidative stress’, caused by environmental aggressors such as pollution and UV rays leads to the creation of free radicals. These damage cell membranes and DNA, causing signs of aging such as wrinkles and pigmentation. Moringa may be able to fight and neutralize these free radicals, slowing down and delaying signs of aging. It also contains a low oleic acid content, which is may be effective at minimizing fine lines and contributing to an overall youthful and radiant appearance. Moringa also has a high vitamin C content that boosts the skin’s natural collagen production.
- Heart Healthy: Cholesterol is the major reason why people suffer from heart diseases and daily consumption of moringa has been known to show considerable improvement against high cholesterol levels. Moringa may be able to lower those levels and protect against the risk of heart diseases.
- Natural Diuretic: Diuretics help the body get rid of excess fluid—mainly water and sodium. They are prescribed when the body is retaining too much fluid, which can be potentially harmful causing many health problems. Moringa is a natural diuretic allowing the body to get rid of excess liquid.
- Natural Multivitamin: One of the main moringa health benefits is that it is packed with most essential vitamins and minerals. It is rich in vitamins A, B1 (thiamin), B2 (riboflavin), B3 (niacin), B6 and folate. Vitamin B complex is crucial for cell growth and healthy brain function. Vitamin A supports bone health and a healthy immune system. It also contains a healthy dose of antioxidants, such as vitamin C and beta-carotene.
- Promotes Organ Health: Moringa benefits for health can be largely attributed to the fact that it helps maintain the proper functioning of virtually all organs. It contains all nine essential amino acids, which form the building blocks of cells that contribute to the overall functioning of our body. It fights inflammation due to the presence of isothiocyanates, which may help moringa to lower blood sugar levels. The high concentration of polyphenols in moringa may help protect against oxidative damage to the liver.
†Statements made on this website have not been evaluated by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration. These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. Information provided by this website or this company is not a substitute for individual medical advice.